Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Correct Freewheel Tool

When the time came to change the freewheel on my single speed I thought I was prepared. I obtained a spare ACS freewheel. Before the one I had failed I was anticipating that I would switch from 22 to 20 teeth. I researched the "how to" sites. Got a tool cheap online. It may not have been designed for the ACS Claw Freewheel I have. But when the time came to use it I learned, once again, that cheap is often the wrong choice. The cheap tool would not grab the freewheel correctly and metal shavings were appearing under the force. So I'm thinking, what do I use when the edges start getting rounded? I just use the trusty backup method - big vise-grips. The freewheel was trashed anyway. But that didn't work to get the freewheel off. I just created more metal shavings. I took the cheap tool up to Bike Masters to seek some advice. Said advice ended up being "don't use cheap tools". Thankfully they had 1 PARK FR-6 in stock. This worked right away in spite of the edge rounding I did to the freewheel with the cheap tool.
It's good to have the correct tool for the job.

Here is video on how to use the tool...

No comments:

Blog Archive

Who is Stratomatic?

My photo
Stratomatica - is my blog place where I document things happening around me or that interest me. The name Strata, geologically speaking, are layers of sedimentary rock or soil with internally consistent characteristics that distinguish it from other layers. Too deep? Well, I like guitars. Mostly I like the sound and feel of Stratocasters.