Saturday, May 28, 2011

Kayaking Dodge Street...



...well, not really but close. I've kayaked a few local lakes with Doug. Today was my first time on the water at Lawrence Youngman Lake. It's located just north of Dodge on 192nd Street. This lake has only been open for a few weeks. There were several fisherman. We are 99.8% sure that one of them was local weatherman Jim Flowers. The backwater at this lake is nice and full of trees to paddle around. One of the advantages of being low and maneuverable on the water is picking up snagged lures.

Dodge St - scraped our paddles on the bottom of a 6 lane freeway while kayaking north.

Then we came to a hard stop and had to turn around.

Here you can see the cars behind on Dodge St. attempting to pass me.



Nice afternoon paddle and I can feel the strength slowly coming back from last fall. Won't be long and we'll be heading upstream on the Elkhorn!



2 comments:

dale said...

Thanks for taking pics and sharing the story of you and Doug kayaking. Like the technical aspects of getting around the trees and under Dodge St.

With the MO river in flood stage, kayaking Manawa mtb trails would seem like fun.

DJ Chi Wai said...

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun! Glad you made it out to that new lake that you've been talking about.

Who is Stratomatic?

My photo
Stratomatica - is my blog place where I document things happening around me or that interest me. The name Strata, geologically speaking, are layers of sedimentary rock or soil with internally consistent characteristics that distinguish it from other layers. Too deep? Well, I like guitars. Mostly I like the sound and feel of Stratocasters.