Friday, June 11, 2010

Like a duck in water

That would be the best way to describe Doug L. in a kayak, "Like a duck in water". Doug and I spent the better part of the afternoon in Prairie View Lake at Bennington today. This is the small lake just west of Newport Landing. We found some amazing backwater channels. These places might have been more navigable today because of all the rain we have had lately. There was an incredible amount of water fowl at this lake. Canadian Geese and Mallard Ducks were everywhere. The sun came out for the last part of our paddle. Super great way to spend a Friday afternoon. Thanks Doug!

Prairie View Lake is located two miles west of Bennington. Take Old Highway 36 to 180 St. (Bennington Road). Turn right onto 180th St. The area is about 3/4 mile down the road.

Kayak Prairie View

2 comments:

dale said...

That's great Doug enjoys kayaking! The backwater channels sound cool, getting back away from civilization with nature providing the big stage.

Too bad you can't rig up some type of umbrella to shade the head/shoulders, but sun screen and a cool hat works too.

Stratomatic said...

I'm looking forward getting the kayaks on the river once all this rain lets up.

Who is Stratomatic?

My photo
Stratomatica - is my blog place where I document things happening around me or that interest me. The name Strata, geologically speaking, are layers of sedimentary rock or soil with internally consistent characteristics that distinguish it from other layers. Too deep? Well, I like guitars. Mostly I like the sound and feel of Stratocasters.