Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wheel of CBSO



The wheel building class was full to capacity last night at Community Bike Shop Omaha. The class started at 6PM and ended at 9PM. Instructor and long time Bike Mechanic, Gary Gebhard started with a history of wheel building. After getting some pointers to get started it was all hands on. Some students brought parts to use and others disassembled/reassembled the shops wheels. I started with a Shimano Deore XT Hub, 32 spokes from Bike Masters and an old, beat up MTB Sun Rim to build my wheel. The Lacing part was easy. The online and book research I did on wheel building before the class helped. Truing, not so much. I got some pointers from Gary on making the wheel less wobbly and it turned out ok. If you have a chance to get in on some learning at CBSO I would recommend it.

No comments:

Who is Stratomatic?

My photo
Stratomatica - is my blog place where I document things happening around me or that interest me. The name Strata, geologically speaking, are layers of sedimentary rock or soil with internally consistent characteristics that distinguish it from other layers. Too deep? Well, I like guitars. Mostly I like the sound and feel of Stratocasters.