Saturday, August 21, 2010

Back Online

Our local cable provider had upgraded their network to the point where we no longer had the equipment to stay online. Years ago I setup a Toshiba PCX5000 because it had cable modem/wired lan/wireless lan support all in one unit.

It worked great until recently when our local cable provider stopped supporting the DOCSIS 1.0 cable modem standard. We have been having intermittent lost of high speed service for most of the summer. This morning it was completely gone. Luckly I had done some research ahead of time and found the Motorola SBG6580
supported the services that our Toshiba supported and then some.

The main thing is that it is compatible with DOCSIS 2.0 and 3.0. which means we are back online (a little faster too). I did have to contact our local cable provider and have them activate the new equipment. That went smooth enough. After putting up with all the geek talk today I'll leave you with some Backstreet Boys...

No comments:

Who is Stratomatic?

My photo
Stratomatica - is my blog place where I document things happening around me or that interest me. The name Strata, geologically speaking, are layers of sedimentary rock or soil with internally consistent characteristics that distinguish it from other layers. Too deep? Well, I like guitars. Mostly I like the sound and feel of Stratocasters.