Saturday, January 8, 2011

First Gravel of 2011

I arrived in Bennington, NE to find that I was the only one riding the "North from Newport Ride" today. Oh well, I felt like exploring and I found some nice rolling hills. Turns out it was cold but there was no wind. The warming climbs were much more fun than the cooling descents. There were farm dogs. They would only chase as far as their farm yards. But they kept barking till I was out of sight.

I ran across some other riders just north of Washington, NE. Their rides eat hay and poop.







As I came over the hill at mile 6 I saw the little town of Kennard, NE. The whole town pretty much fits in my lens here.
I finally found the 'Dew Drop Inn'. It's in Kennard.







Nice ride but it was getting cold as the sun was setting.

2 comments:

John N said...

Paul,
The upper Papio Watershed does have some interesting small towns. Washington would have been in the reservior of one of the flood control reservoirs that didn't pass political muster! These pics bring back some memories of days gone by! Love-Dad

Stratomatic said...

Dad,
There were plenty of hills and creeks to see. Probably good land for flood control lakes. But as I was riding, I thought about how much cover there used to be in fields like these. In this area it looks like every inch gets farmed. There are some gravel road rides where I hear and see pheasants. Not this one. Other than along the creeks, there was very little cover for game. I did see deer tracks though.
Love,
Paul

Blog Archive

Who is Stratomatic?

My photo
Stratomatica - is my blog place where I document things happening around me or that interest me. The name Strata, geologically speaking, are layers of sedimentary rock or soil with internally consistent characteristics that distinguish it from other layers. Too deep? Well, I like guitars. Mostly I like the sound and feel of Stratocasters.