Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Shimano Deore Rear Derailer Problem



I'm attempting to figure out why my right shifter - rear derailer will only shift on the four outer most cogs. I cannot shift to the four inner most cogs.
I bought a used Marin mountain bike this fall. It's equipped with Shimano Deore front and rear derailleurs. The rear derailleur (8 speed) only shifts between the highest four cogs. It works accurately and smoothly. However, the shift lever does not seem to connect the get to the lowest or inner most four cogs. I assume that it simply needs to be readjusted. It seems like this is something that would require a change to the limit stop screws. I'll try to dig into this over the weekend.
These are some web sites that I have found good reading so far.
This site had some good content.http://www.parktool.com/repair
This is a very good site to learn about Derailers.http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html
Shimano Techdocs - This might be helpful.http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp

3 comments:

Stratomatic said...

I took a cursory look at this problem yesterday. I can make the shifter work on the high gears or adjust cable back to hot the low gears. The rear derailer just doesn't have the range to hit all eight gears. Changing the limit screw adjusters does not seem to help this.

RF said...

tough to diagnose that without seeing it in person. The boys at bikemasters of course can help out, or if you see folks on the trail, dont hesitate to ask. Most mtbers I know love tackling a problem.

Stratomatic said...

I think this problem is mostly whipped now. I figured out that if I worked the shiter enough I could actually get it to work with all the gears. At some point this shifter got over lubricated with some thick grease. I took the shifter apart and it had all kinds of dirt, dust and crap gumming everything up. I used some wd40 to clear out the dirty old lube and used some lightweight oil on it. Did some riding this week and it seems ok. Doug tested it out on Monday while using it to smooth out some new trails.

I believe the next thing that will need attention is the bottom bracket. Feels a bit rough under a load.

It's been a good learning experience so far. Thats why got myself a backup bike.

Who is Stratomatic?

My photo
Stratomatica - is my blog place where I document things happening around me or that interest me. The name Strata, geologically speaking, are layers of sedimentary rock or soil with internally consistent characteristics that distinguish it from other layers. Too deep? Well, I like guitars. Mostly I like the sound and feel of Stratocasters.